Timothy R. SchuppOf Counsel
33 S. Sixth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402
Assistant: Marie Woehler
State Bar Admissions
Federal Court Admissions
- United States District Court, District of Minnesota
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court, District of North Dakota
- United States Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
Tim is a skilled trial lawyer with more than 35 years of experience before state and federal courts—both in Minnesota and across the country. The key to his record of litigation achievements is his grasp of the technical issues and his high-level understanding of the complexities of the law.
In his products liability litigation defense practice, Tim defends product liability cases and commercial cases for manufacturers in a number of industries, including:
- Power generation/energy
- Consumer appliances
- Industrial equipment
- Agricultural equipment
- Sports and recreational equipment
He handles general liability matters for clients, including trucking accidents and premises liability. Tim also represents both insurers and policy holders in insurance coverage matters, including Directors & Officers, Errors & Omissions, professional liability, and financial institution policies.
In addition to his work as a trial lawyer, Tim handles appeals and arbitration matters. He also counsels clients on insurance issues and risk management issues. And he has assisted clients with recalls involving the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, most recently for Kozy Heat.
- University of Colorado, J.D., Order of the Coif, 1981
- The Colorado College, B.A., magna cum laude, 1978
- Aegis Insurance Services v. General Electric Company, Tenth Judicial District of Minnesota. Secured complete defense verdict in $173MM+ commercial property damage case involving claims stemming from the catastrophic failure of a large coal-fired steam turbine. Case affirmed on appeal.
- Hamid Abbasi v Leading Edge Aviation Services, United States District Court for the District of Minnesota. Hull loss involving Cirrus aircraft incident. The pilot lost control when the flaps malfunctioned on approach to landing. Aircraft was declared a total loss as a result of the damage sustained during the deployment of the ballistic parachute on the aircraft. Summary Judgment granted in favor of aircraft maintenance facility, who had replaced the flaps 18 months earlier.
- Jorjann Blake, as Trustee for the heirs and next of kin of Brian R. Blake, deceased v. Maxwell Aircraft Services, Inc. et al., State of Minnesota, County of Hennepin, Fourth Judicial District. Aircraft accident case involving four fatalities. Obtained dismissal of propeller overhaul facility in pilot’s wrongful death case, based on Minn. Stat. § 544.41.
- Monahan v. National Presto Industries, Inc., United States District Court for the Northern District of California. Product liability case involving burn injury from deep fat fryer. Jury verdict in favor of product manufacturer.
- J. Render v. J. Prins, State of Minnesota, County of Hennepin, Fourth Judicial District. Obtained jury verdict in favor of plaintiff real estate financier, after default by borrower.
- Defense Research Institute
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Awarded the highest possible Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating, AV® Preeminent ™ (AV is a registered certification mark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies)
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the areas of Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants and Product Liability Litigation - Defendants, 2007-2023
- Included in the Minnesota Super Lawyers list in the area of Civil Litigation: Defense, Thomson Reuters, 1998-2022
- Named by The Best Lawyers in America® in its 2021 Minneapolis Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants "Lawyers of the Year"
- Named to the Top 100 Super Lawyers list, Thomson Reuters, 2005, 2009, 2011
Meagher + Geer congratulates its 25 attorneys named to the Best Lawyers® 2023 editionMore...
Meagher + Geer congratulates its 23 attorneys named to the 2022 Minnesota Super Lawyers® listMore...
Meagher + Geer attorneys Tracy Kolb and Timothy Schupp obtain defense verdict in medical malpractice caseMore...