Jonathan D. MillerPartner
33 S. Sixth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402
State Bar Admissions
- Minnesota, 1999
Federal Court Admissions
- United States District Court, District of Minnesota, 2003
Jon focuses his practice on representing professionals in the real estate and banking industry in civil litigation as well as assisting individuals with family law matters. While Jon’s property law experience is invaluable in dissolution actions involving real property issues, those are distinct practice areas. The common thread, however, is Jon’s desire and ability to help clients through any type of conflict.
His real estate and banking clients include real estate agents and brokers, homeowners’ associations, title companies, appraisers, mortgage brokers and financial institutions, as well as commercial and residential lessors seeking to enforce their leases in unlawful detainer actions and civil lawsuits. In addition, Jon represents contractors and homeowners in mechanic’s lien actions and property owners in boundary dispute and other land use matters, including riparian rights and litigation involving municipalities. He also represents clients in environmental litigation. Jon handles all aspects of litigation in his real estate and banking cases, including discovery, mediation, and motions in state and federal courts.
His family law experience includes litigating dissolution actions involving custody disputes, property division, child support and spousal maintenance issues. Jon also handles post-dissolution motions, including motions to modify child custody, motions to modify spousal maintenance and/or child support, and other motion practice. In addition, Jon has represented clients in paternity actions, domestic abuse and harassment restraining order matters, legal separations, and adoption. Jon also has experience drafting, negotiating and interpreting Pre-nuptial agreements.
Jon has tried numerous court and jury trials in real estate, commercial litigation and family law, as well as arguing several cases before Minnesota appellate courts.
Perhaps, most importantly, Jon’s experience and connection with his clients allows him to give his clients a candid assessment of how to achieve their objectives in each case, whether that means a quick and relatively inexpensive settlement, or aggressive litigation to defend against baseless claims or pursue an action to recover substantial damages, protect their rights or maintain their interests.
Jon was selected in 2004 and 2006 by his peers and named a Rising Star®. No more than 2.5 percent of the lawyers in the state are named to the list. Jon is a member of the American Bar Association, the Defense Research Institute, the Minnesota State Bar Association and the Hennepin County Bar Association, including being a member of the real estate section of the Hennepin County Bar Association. Jon was a former Adjunct Professor of Law at William Mitchell College of Law in St. Paul, Minnesota.
He is also an original member of Meagher + Geer’s Electronic Litigation practice group. In this capacity, Jon’s experience with electronic case management, electronic discovery and electronic trial presentation allows him to advise a diverse range of clients in a variety of ways:
- Consulting with clients prior to suit, or at the initiation of litigation, to develop policies and procedures essential for preservation of evidence and complying with state and federal rules regarding the preservation and production of electronic evidence;
- Analysis and implementation of cost-effective, case-specific solutions to meet preservation obligations;
- Experienced legal representation in litigation involving electronic evidence, including taking and defending depositions of IT personnel and third-party e-discovery vendors and discovery motion practice involving e-discovery, spoliation of evidence and technology issues; and
- Cost effective use of litigation management software including Summation, Trial Director and other electronic legal tools.
Outside the office, Jon enjoys playing softball, photography, fine dining, and spending time with his wife and family. He has command on French as well as English.
- Former Adjunct Professor of Law, William Mitchell College of Law, 2006-2009
- Former Law Clerk to The Honorable Thomas W. Wexler, Hennepin County District Court Judge
- Hamline University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1998
- University of Minnesota, B.A., 1993
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
Karl Yeager and Jonathan Miller Present Mechanic's Lien Seminar on May 22, 2013More...
Meagher & Geer Announces New PartnersMore...
14 - 16,2022Professional Liability Defense Federation™ (PLDF) 2022 Annual MeetingMore...