I enjoy helping my clients solve problems. If a case might be difficult to defend at trial, I help them through difficult negotiations.
John C. HughesSenior Counsel
33 S. Sixth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402
1900 Burnt Boat Drive
Bismarck, ND 58503
- Minnesota, North Dakota
State Bar Admissions
- Minnesota, 1987
- North Dakota, 2004
Federal Court Admissions
- United States District Court, District of Minnesota, 1990
John splits his time between the Meagher + Geer Minneapolis, MN and Bismarck, ND offices. In Bismarck, John spends the majority of his time defending oil and gas claims including blow outs, explosions and pipeline strikes. John also has experience representing clients facing product liability design defect, manufacturing defect and failure to warn claims. He started his legal career litigating cases involving toxic substances and continues to do so presently. More importantly, he has tried over forty cases to jury verdict.
John was named by The Best Lawyers in America® as its 2015 Minneapolis Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants “Lawyer of the Year” and is regularly selected for inclusion in the list of Minnesota Super Lawyers® in the area of mass torts/products liability. He is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates and the Defense Research Institute – national organizations of trial lawyers.
“I enjoy helping my clients solve problems. If a case might be difficult to defend at trial, I help them through difficult negotiations. In a case that goes to trial, I help them understand the possible outcomes up front and help them feel comfortable with a jury.”
Outside the office, John supports the academic and athletic activities of his children and enjoys spending the weekends with them at the family’s cabin.
- Hamline University School of Law, J.D., 1987
- University of Minnesota, B.S., 1981
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Trucking Law Committee
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Institute of Forensic Investigation (IFI)
- Awarded the highest possible Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating, AV® Preeminent ™ (AV is a registered certification mark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies)
- Named by The Best Lawyers in America® as its 2015 Minneapolis Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants “Lawyer of the Year”
- Selected for inclusion in the Minnesota Super Lawyers® list in the area of Personal Injury General: Defense, Thomson Reuters, (only five percent of the lawyers in the state were selected), 2003-2022
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants, 2009-2023
Meagher + Geer congratulates its 25 attorneys named to the Best Lawyers® 2023 editionMore...
Meagher + Geer congratulates its 23 attorneys named to the 2022 Minnesota Super Lawyers® listMore...
Meagher + Geer congratulates its 25 attorneys named to the Best Lawyers® 2022 EditionMore...