John handles business and complex litigation, including contracts, insurance coverage, employment law, products liability, and Uniform Commercial Code cases, environmental and environmental insurance coverage litigation, CERCLA contribution actions, toxic torts, intellectual property, insurance defense, and personal injury litigation. He was lead counsel in numerous jury and bench trials in state and federal courts in Arizona, California, Iowa and Illinois; including a three-month environmental insurance coverage case involving soil and groundwater contamination caused by chlorinated solvents, BTEX compounds, and PAH’s; a UCC breach of warranty suit involving more than $20 million in damages due to defective nitrocellulose lacquer; intellectual property litigation over computer software trademarks and copyright, petroleum pumping equipment and direct vent gas fireplaces; product liability litigation involving destruction of a foundry; toxic tort litigation concerning chronic low-level manganese exposure; and environmental litigation over manufactured gas plant sites and leaking underground storage tanks. John has handled at least 32 jury trials, and more than 50 non-jury trials and countless evidentiary hearings.
John’s professional experience also includes representing financial institutions and lenders with a wide variety of matters in legal proceedings in state and federal courts, including bankruptcy court matters. Past clients include: CIT Group Inc.; McMorgan & Company; Arizona Laborers, Teamsters And Cement Masons Local No. 395 Pension Trust Fund; Arizona Laborers, Teamsters and Cement Masons Local No. 395 Defined Contribution Pension Trust Fund; Arizona Operating Engineers Defined Benefit Pension Trust Fund; Arizona Operating Engineers Defined Contribution Pension Trust Fund; Arizona State Carpenters Pension Trust Fund; Arizona State Carpenters Defined Contribution Pension Trust Fund; Data Sales Co.; First National Bank of Muscatine, Iowa; and First National Bank of Gordon, Nebraska.
John’s employment law experience includes, but is not limited to, handling numerous wrongful discharge, discrimination, harassment and retaliation matters involving administrative complaints to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Arizona Attorney General’s office, as well as employment-related litigation in state and federal court.
John is experienced in electronic case management, electronic discovery and electronic trial presentation, including:
- Consulting with clients prior to suit, or at the initiation of litigation, to develop policies and procedures essential for preservation of evidence and complying with state and federal rules regarding the preservation and production of electronic evidence;
- Identification and retrieval of potentially-relevant electronic evidence, including cost-benefit analysis of various methods and tools for identifying and retrieving e-data;
- Electronic production of evidence, including analysis of the format for production (e.g., native, .tiff or other formats);
- Analysis and implementation of cost-effective, case-specific solutions to meet preservation obligations;
- Litigation involving electronic evidence, including taking and defending depositions of IT personnel and third-party e-discovery vendors, and discovery motion practice involving e-discovery, spoliation of evidence and technology issues; and
- Use of Summation, PowerPoint, Trial Director and other electronic legal tools for discovery, case management, arbitrations, mediations, motions and trials.