Elizabeth (Liz) S. PoeschlPartner
33 S. Sixth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402
Assistant: Sue Kirtz
- Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota
State Bar Admissions
- Minnesota, 2001
- Wisconsin, 2015
- North Dakota, 2015
Federal Court Admissions
- United States District Court, District of Minnesota, 2001
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2007
- Court of the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux (Dakota) Community, 2012
Liz focuses her practice on the prevention and the litigation of business-related disputes — especially those involving construction, products liability, and life sciences. She serves as Co-chair of the firm’s Life Science practice group and of the firm’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee. She has been named to the Minnesota Super Lawyers® list (only five percent of the lawyers in the state were selected). Liz has won several successful jury verdicts in litigation defending designers in different multi-million dollar projects.
In her construction practice, Liz defends contractors, project owners, land developers, architects, engineers, manufacturers, and suppliers involving private and public construction projects of all types. She also works with these parties to establish the contracts, documentation, and procedures needed to help them avoid conflicts that could give rise to litigation and potential liability. Liz is a member of the MSBA Construction Law Section and the ABA Forum on the Construction Industry. Liz also speaks regularly on a wide range of construction industry topics and seminars hosted by local and national organizations.
In her products liability and life science practice, Liz defends manufacturers and distributors faced with products liability claims, including construction products, pharmaceutical products, medical devices, durable medical goods, and complex machinery. She also serves as counsel for several national and international companies defending them against claims involving complex legal and factual issues related to products in the medical and construction industries. She also works with manufacturers and distributors proactively to establish contract documents that help shield them from liability.
She also defends clients against claims of Dram Shop violations. These claims regularly involve complicated fact situations, and serious injury or death of intoxicated individuals.
Her hobbies are traveling, cooking, and exercising.
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2001
- University of St. Thomas, B.A., summa cum laude, 1998
- Kouatli v. Solbakken, Inc. 2005 WL 949081, No. A04-1291 (Minn. Ct. App., April 26, 2005)
- Community Housing Corp. of America, Inc., v. Alternative Bldg. Concepts, Inc., 2003 WL 22999294, No. A03-657 (Minn. Ct. App., December 23, 2003)
- Haessly v. Diamond Products Co., 2003 WL 22014745, No. C8-02-2216 (Minn. Ct. App., August 26, 2003)
- Thompson v. Dolphin Clerical Group, 2003 WL 21500175, No. C5-02-1993 (Minn. Ct. App., July 1, 2003)
- American Bar Association
- Forum on the Construction Industry
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Construction Law Section
- Member of Construction Law Section's governing Board
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- Defense Research Institute
- Faith's Lodge, Board of Directors
- Minnesota State Bar Association — North Star Lawyer Pro Bono Award, 2016-2019
- Selected for inclusion in the Minnesota Super Lawyers® list in the area of Construction Litigation, Thomson Reuters, (only five percent of the lawyers in the state were selected), 2021-2022
- Selected for inclusion in the Minnesota Rising Stars list, Thomson Reuters, (Only 2.5 percent of the Minnesota attorneys are given this honor), 2005, 2008-2015
- Understanding Construction Contract Terms — Even More Important in our COVID-19 World, Webinar, Marsh & McLennan Agency (February 2021)
- Quality Control Best Practices in a COVID-19 World, Webinar, Cobb Strecker Dunphy & Zimmerman (August 2020)
- Contract Review, Webinar, Cobb Strecker Dunphy & Zimmerman (February 2020)
- Key Construction Contract Provisions: What you need to know to safeguard yourself and your business, 2020 Construction Law Update, Marsh & McLennan Agency (February 2020)
- Design Professionals Do's and Don'ts When Claims Occur, Webinar, Cobb Strecker Dunphy & Zimmerman (May 2019)
- Key Contract Provisions Design Professionals Need to Watch For, Webinar, Cobb Strecker Dunphy & Zimmerman (April 2019)
- Five Key Construction Contract Provisions: What you need to know to safeguard yourself and your business, 2019 Construction Law Seminar, Marsh & McLennan Agency (February 2019)
- Panelist, A Collaborative Approach to Dealing With Risk, A’18 MN – The Minnesota Conference on Architecture 84th Annual Conference and Products Expo (November 2018)
- Key Construction Contract Provisions, Construction Law Landscape 2018, Marsh & McLennan Agency (February 2018)
- Risk Management - It's a Jungle Out There, AFCOM Greater Minnesota Chapter Monthly Meeting (June 2017)
- Avoiding Common Pitfalls: Practice tips from the Pros: Cases involving a Product Manufacturer in a Construction Dispute, MDLA Joint CLE Meeting of the Products Liability and Construction Committees (February 2016)
- Indemnification and Recent Changes in MN Statutes, Continuing Education Seminar for Design Professionals, Dennis J. Linder & Associates (October 2014)
- Indemnification Construction Contract Provisions--What you need to know to protect yourself and your clients, Seminar presented by Meagher & Geer for construction industry professionals (October 2014)
- Changes to Minnesota’s Anti-Indemnification Impact You, Continuing Education Seminar, RJF Agencies (May 2014)
- The New Anti-indemnity Law: Its Original Intent, Current Status & Likely Future, Continuing Education Seminar, RJF Agencies (February 2014)
- Important Construction Contract Provisions, Continuing Education Seminar, Builders Association of the Twin Cities (BATC) University (February 2012)
Meagher + Geer congratulates its 23 attorneys named to the 2022 Minnesota Super Lawyers® listMore...
Meagher + Geer congratulates its attorneys recognized in The Annual List of Top Women Attorneys 2022 published by Minnesota Super Lawyers® More...
ACEC/MN 2022 Engineering Excellence Awards GalaMore...