Chad J. StepanPartner
33 S. Sixth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402
Assistant: Wendy Kiewel
State Bar Admissions
- Minnesota, 1997
Federal Court Admissions
- United States District Court, District of Minnesota, 2001
Chad Stepan serves as Chair of the firm’s Catastrophic Loss Practice Group. Chad focuses his practice on complex civil litigation, including fires, explosions, structural failures, mechanical failures, product failures and other catastrophic losses and construction-related incidents across the United States. He has handled numerous multi-million dollar claims, including major industrial explosions and fires, and construction and design matters. Chad investigates these incidents and provides defense and recovery representation. This work includes providing professional liability defense for architects, engineers, and other design professionals, as well as defense for contractors, subcontractors, product manufacturers, owners and operators.
Chad is also an instructor and speaker on topics that concern his practice. Chad is an Adjunct Instructor at the ATF’s National Center for Explosives Training and Research and the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center where he presents courses on evidence issues (spoliation), convergence of science and law (process engineering), courtroom testimony and techniques, depositions, and regulatory matters (OSHA and Chemical Safety Board). The courses also involve instruction of moot court trials.
In addition, Chad serves as an Adjunct Instructor at the National Fire Academy in Emmitsburg, Maryland where he presents a course on spoliation and changes to NFPA 921, and a course on origin and cause investigation and courtroom testimony and techniques. The courtroom techniques course involves instruction of moot court trials with a focus on expert witnesses and trial examination.
Chad is General Counsel for the International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI). He is also a guest lecturer for state chapters of the IAAI and at the IAAI International Training Conference.
Chad has also made a number of presentations to design professionals and others in the construction industry.
Outside the office, Chad enjoys spending time with his family, traveling, and keeping a close eye on Minnesota sports teams.
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1997
- University of Minnesota, B.A., summa cum laude, 1994
- Titan Racing - Massachusetts
- Coast Hills Community Church - California
- Heritage Lutheran Church - Minnesota
- Ultra Machining Company - Minnesota
- Timneth Presbyterian Church - Colorado
- First United Methodist Church - Texas
- Glenbrook School of Minden - Louisiana
- McPherson Minnesota Lake Mutual Insurance Company - Minnesota
- Globe Specialty Metals - EZ Grand - Ohio
- Korean Presbyterian Church - Ohio
- Multi-Chem - Louisiana
- Columbus Chemical Industries - Wisconsin
- Cortec - Wisconsin
- Promenade Village Townhomes - Minnesota
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Construction Section
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Propane Gas Defense Association (PGDA)
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI) Editorial Review Board, Legal Subcommittee
- International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI) President's Award
- Recognized as a Rising Star, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2011
- Certified in Propane (CETP)
- Proboard Certified Hazardous Materials Technician (29CFR 1910.120(q))
- Certified in Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response Standard (HAZWOPER)
- NAFI Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (CFEI)
- “Fire Pattern Persistence in the Presence of Positive Pressure Ventilation (PPV)”, In Conjunction with the UL Firefighter Safety Research Institute’s Study of the Effectiveness of Fire Service PPV, Northbrook, Illinois, January 2015
Stepan, Iverson and Bridges on Faculty of the 31st Annual Fire Investigation Training ConferenceMore...
Stepan, Iverson and Bridges Speak at the 65th International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI) International Training ConferenceMore...
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, & Explosives (ATF) Arson for Prosecutors CourseMore...