John handles business and complex litigation, including contracts, insurance coverage, employment law, products liability, and Uniform Commercial Code cases, environmental and environmental insurance coverage litigation, CERCLA contribution actions, toxic torts, intellectual property, insurance defense, and personal injury litigation. He was lead counsel in numerous jury and bench trials in state and federal courts in Arizona, California, Iowa and Illinois; including a three-month environmental insurance coverage case involving soil and groundwater contamination caused by chlorinated solvents, BTEX compounds, and PAH's; a UCC breach of warranty suit involving more than $20 million in damages due to defective nitrocellulose lacquer; intellectual property litigation over computer software trademarks and copyright, petroleum pumping equipment and direct vent gas fireplaces; product liability litigation involving destruction of a foundry; toxic tort litigation concerning chronic low-level manganese exposure; and environmental litigation over manufactured gas plant sites and leaking underground storage tanks. John has handled at least 32 jury trials, and more than 50 non-jury trials and countless evidentiary hearings.
John’s professional experience also includes representing financial institutions and lenders with a wide variety of matters in legal proceedings in state and federal courts, including bankruptcy court matters. Past clients include: CIT Group Inc.; McMorgan & Company; Arizona Laborers, Teamsters And Cement Masons Local No. 395 Pension Trust Fund; Arizona Laborers, Teamsters and Cement Masons Local No. 395 Defined Contribution Pension Trust Fund; Arizona Operating Engineers Defined Benefit Pension Trust Fund; Arizona Operating Engineers Defined Contribution Pension Trust Fund; Arizona State Carpenters Pension Trust Fund; Arizona State Carpenters Defined Contribution Pension Trust Fund; Data Sales Co.; First National Bank of Muscatine, Iowa; and First National Bank of Gordon, Nebraska.
John's employment law experience includes, but is not limited to, handling numerous wrongful discharge, discrimination, harassment and retaliation matters involving administrative complaints to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Arizona Attorney General’s office, as well as employment-related litigation in state and federal court.
John is experienced in electronic case management, electronic discovery and electronic trial presentation, including:
- Consulting with clients prior to suit, or at the initiation of litigation, to develop policies and procedures essential for preservation of evidence and complying with state and federal rules regarding the preservation and production of electronic evidence;
- Identification and retrieval of potentially-relevant electronic evidence, including cost-benefit analysis of various methods and tools for identifying and retrieving e-data;
- Electronic production of evidence, including analysis of the format for production (e.g., native, .tiff or other formats);
- Analysis and implementation of cost-effective, case-specific solutions to meet preservation obligations;
- Litigation involving electronic evidence, including taking and defending depositions of IT personnel and third-party e-discovery vendors, and discovery motion practice involving e-discovery, spoliation of evidence and technology issues; and
- Use of Summation, PowerPoint, Trial Director and other electronic legal tools for discovery, case management, arbitrations, mediations, motions and trials.
Professional and Trade Associations
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Arizona
- Maricopa County Bar Association
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel
- State Bar of California
- Iowa State Bar Association, previously served in the following groups:
- Federal Practice Committee, 1996-98
- Environmental Section Council, 1995-98
- Litigation Section Long Range Planning Committee, 1990-92
- Annual Meeting Committee, 1989-92
- Executive Council, Young Lawyers Section, 1983-88
- Bridge the Gap Committee, 1985-88 (Chair, 1988-89)
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Selected as a "2014 Top-Rated Lawyer in Personal Injury Defense Law” by The American Lawyer & Corporate Counsel magazine and Martindale-Hubbell™
- Awarded the highest possible Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating, AV® Preeminent ™ (AV is a registered certification mark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies)
Make-A-Wish Foundation of Central and Southern Arizona
- Faculty, National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA®), Deposition Skills: Arizona Program (November 2012)
- Appearance on KPNX (Phoenix NBC affiliate) to discuss legal issues.
- Presentations to the American Bar Association Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee's Mid-Year Meeting on recovery of attorneys' fees in declaratory judgment actions.
- Presentations to the Environmental Section of the Iowa State Bar Association on insurance coverage for environmental clean up costs and on presentation of expert evidence.
- Presentations to the Dillon Inn of Court regarding presentation of expert evidence.
Faculty member of the National Institute of Trial Advocacy's three-day intensive deposition program.
- Leflet v. Redwood Fire & Casualty Ins. Co., 226 Ariz. 297, 247 P.3d 180 (Ariz.App. 2011) (court restricts the use of Morris agreements and finds insureds who enter into such agreements to the benefit of one carrier and to the detriment of another carrier violate the policy's cooperation clause).
- Kirkish v. Mesa Imports, Inc., 2010 WL 364183 (D. Ariz. 2010) (finding employer did not discriminate based on disability in violation of the ADA).
- DeSantiago v. Pargas, 2009 WL 794929 (Ariz. App. 2009) (vacating and remanding for further proceedings on issue whether $8.3 million stipulated judgment in wrongful death case was unreasonable).
Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church v. Church Mut. Ins. Co., 476 F.Supp.2d 1135 (D. Ariz. 2007) (granting insurer's motion for summary judgment on plaintiff's punitive damage claim).
- Prior to joining Meagher & Geer in August, 2005, John was a partner at the Phoenix firm of Stinson Morrison Hecker from 1998 to 2005, and was Litigation Department Chair, Vice-President and Shareholder of Stanley, Lande & Hunter in Davenport, Iowa, from 1982 to 1998.
State Bar Admissions
Federal Court Admissions
United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2004
United States Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 1998
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 2000
United States District Court, District of Arizona, 1999
United States District Court, Central District of California, 2000
United States District Court, Eastern District of California, 2003
United States District Court, Northern District of California, 2001
United States District Court, Southern District of California, 2001
United States District Court, Northern District of Iowa, 1982
United States District Court, Southern District of Iowa, 1982