Barbara has considerable experience in the legal industry, including a long tenure at an AmLaw 100 firm in a leadership position. She understands strategy, clients, lawyers, and the business of law from many perspectives.
In her time at the firm Barbara has rebuilt our business development and marketing programs. Major accomplishments include expanding our business in many areas, particularly in insurance defense and employment counseling and litigation. She lead the firm’s rebranding campaign, development of a new and comprehensive proposal capability, application of the latest technologies and social media, and a new website. On a daily basis she guides lawyers to assure that they and their practices are positioned for growth and expansion in their markets.
Throughout her career she has handled hundreds of client proposals and responses to RFPs, including several to Fortune 100 companies. Notable wins include landing business from a large food processor, a major credit card company, several leading U.S. insurance companies, and one of the world's largest private companies.
Barbara began her career as a litigation paralegal in an AmLaw 100 firm. She managed 40+ trials in state and federal courts nationwide, including cases involving fatal aviation accidents (defending Lockheed and Cessna), and products liability. She was the lead paralegal for a team of lawyers from several of the country's largest law firms representing the National Football League in the landmark football free agency case, (11 week Federal Court trial), McNeil v. NFL, No. 4-90-476 (D. Minn.). She also handled litigation assisting lawyers representing the National Basketball Association and the National Hockey League. Barbara also worked for ten years as a senior paralegal in the firm's 70 lawyer corporate law department. She managed 50+ transactions, including deals valued in excess of $10 billion. In the mergers and acquisitions practice area she was one of the principal developers of electronic data rooms, and worked in this capacity with leading investment banking firms including Goldman Sachs and Credit Suisse/First Boston.
See Barbara's Profile on LinkedIn.
- President, Legal Marketing Association, Minnesota Chapter, 2014.
- Editorial Board, Law Practice e-zine, a publication of the American Bar Association, Law Practice Management Section, 2012 - 2013
- Legal Marketing Association (LMA), Minnesota Chapter, Board of Directors member, 2009 to present
- LMA, Minnesota Chapter, Chair, Communications Committee, 2009 - 2011
- LMA, Minnesota Chapter, Program Committee Chair, 2001 - 2002
- Public Relations Society of America 2000 - 2010
- Law Firm Media Professionals, Minnesota Chapter, 2009 to 2011
- American Bar Association, Law Practice Management Section, 2006 to present
- Twin Cities Diversity in Practice, Marketing Committee, 2005 – 2006
- The 5 Online Analytics Strategies That Will Help Your Firm Drive More Business, LMA Annual Conference, April 2013, Las Vegas, NV
- 40 Tips & Tools for Successful Business Development & Marketing, Meagher & Geer Leadership & Professional Development Program, March 2012
- LMA, Roundtable Moderator, Lateral Integration, July 2010
- How to Develop and Pitch a Story: Tips and Best Practices, LMA Annual Conference, March 2010, Denver, CO
- LMA presentation, Spring 2008, Law Firm Media Team, Pros and Cons
- LMA, Minnesota Chapter, August 2006, Competitive Intelligence Panel
- Minnesota CLE, Minnesota Institute for Legal Education and Minnesota Legal Assistant Institute, former faculty member
Awards & Achievements
- Recipient of 2009 LMA Your Honor Award, “in recognition of creativity, execution, achievement and overall excellence in legal marketing, business development and communications, and for innovation in finding, developing and retaining profitable business”
- Creator, author and publisher of MeagherMarketingMinute, a marketing and business development newsletter, 2008 to present
- Founder, Meagher & Geer Media/PR Team, 2008
- 29th Street Petal Pushers, Growing Socially Conscious Business Women, Annual gala, fund raising/development volunteer 2009 to present
- Will Steger Foundation, volunteer, 2010
- Jeremiah Program, 2007 – 2009, Bullfrog Bash Sponsorship Committee (Chair, 2009)
- Tubman Family Alliance, volunteer, 2004 – 2005
- Habitat for Humanity, volunteer, 2003 – 2004
- Westside and Keliix Soccer Clubs, team manager, 1998 – 2002
- Christopher Watson Dance Company, Board of Directors member, 1998 – 2001
University of Minnesota
American Bar Association Paralegal Certification, (A.A.), University of Minnesota
University of St. Thomas
Mini Master of Project Management