Dan focuses his practice on all aspects of insurance coverage and bad faith matters, as well as professional liability disputes. He has been selected for inclusion in the Minnesota Rising Stars list in the area of insurance coverage annually since 2007.
Dan advises and represents insurance companies in claims made under a wide range of commercial general liability, professional liability, and director and officer liability policies, as well as bad faith matters. These include construction defect, environmental contamination, commercial trucking and employment practices claims.
Additionally, Dan has been involved in several first-party property and business interruption matters, including providing advice to a national insurer regarding coverage issues arising out of Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita. He has also represented carriers in financial institution bond and commercial crime policy claims involving the Bernard Madoff Ponzi Scheme.
In the past few years, Dan's litigation practice has expanded to include defending attorneys, insurance agents, and insurance brokers in professional liability matters. His in-depth knowledge of these professions enhances his ability to understand the unique issues and challenges each case brings.
Outside the office, Dan is President of the University of Virginia Alumni Club of the Twin Cities, and has served as an elder at Oak Grove Presbyterian Church in Bloomington, Minnesota. He also enjoys playing and listening to live music, running, and cycling.
Johnson, Ayers & Matthews, P.L.C., Roanoke, Virginia - Associate, 2004-2005
- American Bar Association
- Tort & Insurance Practice Section
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
Published Articles/Speaking Engagements
- "Global Guide to Directors’ and Officers’ Issues Around the World 2013" Co-author for the United States of America chapter, published on the Internet by Zurich Insurance Group Ltd. (April 2013), located at http://view.pagetiger.com/directors-and-officers-guide
- "Mediation in the United States" Co-author, presented at The Harmonie Group 2011 Madrid Insurance Market Seminar, Madrid (May 2011)
- Mental Health and the Legal Profession, presented at the University of St. Thomas School of Law, Minneapolis, MN (January 25, 2011)
- "Unique Issues With Special Cases: Computer and Funds Transfer Fraud, Inventory Losses, and Loan Losses" Co-author, presented at HB Litigation Conferences Fidelity Bond and Crime Coverage Conference, New York, NY (December 3, 2009)
- "Insurers' Ethical Duties to Insured When Acting As Co-Insurers" Co-author, presented at ABA Fidelity & Surety Law Mid-Winter Meeting, New York, NY (January 22-23, 2009)
- New Lawyers Nuts and Bolts, presented at the Hennepin County Bar Association CLE (December 4, 2008)
- "Building the Case for Life: A Mitigation Specialist as a Necessity and a Matter of Right" 16 Cap. Def. J. 43 (Fall 2003)
- Oak Grove Presbyterian Church Elder (2008-2010)
- University of Virginia Alumni Club of the Twin Cities - Steering Committee (2007-2008); President (2011-Present)
- Selected for inclusion in the Minnesota Rising Stars list, Thomson Reuters, (Only 2.5 percent of the Minnesota attorneys are given this honor), 2007-2012
- Washington and Lee University School of Law
- President, Student Bar Association
- Member, Capital Case Clearinghouse
- Associate Editor, Capital Defense Journal
State Bar Admissions
Federal Court Admissions
United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2004
United States Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 2005
United States District Court, District of Minnesota, 2005
United States District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2005
United States District Court, Western District of Virginia, 2004